Haywood County is a top destination for retirees and visitors, but did you know that it is a top destination for imported tomatoes?
If they arrive in summer or early fall, they sneak past thousands of fresh, vine-ripened, mountain-grown tomatoes.
1. Locally grown farm products are fresher.
2. Locally grown farm products require less transportation, which equals less gasoline and fewer vehicle emissions.
3. When you buy local, you also support your local economy.
4. In recent years, North Carolina has led the country in the loss of farms; we want to change that! When you support local farms, you help protect local farmland, which might otherwise be developed.
5. When you support local farms, you also help maintain wildlife habitat.
6. Our participating farmers and packing houses are committed to providing you with a high-quality product.
7. We are growing and selling a new variety of tomato called the Mountain Star Gourmet. It ranks high on taste and has a longer shelf life.
8. Local farms and farmscapes maintain scenic views and tourism-based economic activity in Western North Carolina.
9. When you Buy Haywood, you also help preserve the county’s rich rural heritage, which traces back for hundreds of years.
10. We provide regular food safety training programs for participating farmers, field workers, and packing house employees.
11. The farmlands along the Upper Pigeon River Valley in Haywood County contain some of the richest, most productive, and rarest soils in all of North Carolina, but since the 1960s, Haywood County has lost 80% of its prime farmlands. If you “Buy Haywood,” you can help stop these losses!
12. Almost all of our tomatoes and peppers are vine-ripened and fresh from the field.
13. Most people agree that these tomatoes and peppers are tasty!